i thought i would write out an update on each part of my resolutions…
- memorize scripture – hmmm…not doing as well as i would like to be doing, but i have memorized more scripture and more passages in the bible. dane and i started leading a bible study for our church and so our time in the Word has increased greatly!
- stay on budget – this one has been a HUGE success for us! i now try to sit down once a week and look at what we are spending and put it into our little spreadsheet (ok, it’s not that little…i kinda went overboard on the list making). and i’m happy to report that in 14 months, we have paid off about $15,000 of personal debt. if you know me then you know that i struggle with the issue that i even have debt. i hate it. all i’ve ever had are student loans and about $300 on a credit card, but it still disgusts me that i live in a country where $20,000 is not that much debt. well, it is to me. oh, i’m sure we are ridiculed for having a rent payment almost equal to that of a mortgage payment. and that we buy camera and computer gadgets, but only shop at goodwill for clothes. we pray about our investments and right now we are investing most all of our extra money to getting out of debt. it’s tough at times, but it’s how we sleep at night. i would love, love, love, love to be debt free by the end of the year, but i’m not sure we can get there. it’s definitely something we are striving for!
- train for a 10K – well, i already posted about this one. i am not training for a 5K! i’m on week 2 and it’s going REALLY well. i’m excited about running again. i don’t know when i’ll be ready to train for a 10K, but it probably won’t be for a while.
- lose the baby weight – check and mark! yay! since the weather is changing i started looking through the back of my closet for more warmer clothes. i was a bit nervous to even try anything on since last year i didn’t fit into any of my summer attire. (if you’ve ever had a major fluctuation in weight then you know exactly what i’m talking about). come to find out i not only fit into all of it, the two new shirts i bought a few weeks ago are too big (good thing i shop at goodwill!). that was disappointing, but always a good thing!
- homeschool – this has been a success, i think. each day we try to focus on three learning ‘activities’. on sunday, i evaluate what i feel he should work on this week and then i write it down in my planner (just like i did when i was a teacher). for example: 1. reading a book aloud at least 3 times a day – with this i really want him to be paying attention and helping me turn pages. it’s not about him learning how to read (duh, i know he’s too young), but about him listening to my voice and focusing on one thing…as opposed to him crawling all over the place while i read. 2. standing time – he is almost pulling himself up to standing position. he does it every once in awhile so we practice standing for 15-20 minutes a few times a day at the coffee table or with his walker toy. 3. i made a new ‘toy’ from one of my favorite blogs. i think it’s a bit old for him, but i wanted to introduce it and see what he thought of it. we do that each day for about 10 minutes. so far, he just wants to eat all the pieces. hehe. so i’ll take that one away next week and i’ll try and find something else to help with motor skills. it’s been so fun for me. i look forward to doing those things each day with him. and it really helps me get to know him even better. we’ve been going outside everyday as well. i am filled with joy every single day by just being with him and seeing him learn!
that’s pretty much what i’ve been up to these days!